Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Table Saw surface protection

• Joseph
  • Joseph's Avatar Topic Author

Joseph created the topic: Table Saw surface protection

I got what might be a stupid question, is there anything that isn't oil based i can coat/ seal the top of my tablesaw with to keep from rusting?
  • dipdog

dipdog replied the topic: Re: Table Saw surface protection

Hi Joseph,
I don't know how reliable or recommended this is, but it works great for me. I use paste wax, which besides protecting the top, also makes the wood glide smoother without putting any residue on the wood. Hopefully this isn't bad information. :oops:

George
  • Joseph
  • Joseph's Avatar Topic Author

Joseph replied the topic: Re: Table Saw surface protection

That makes a great deal of sense, thank you so much for the info. I was worried that I was being anal about it or that it was one of those things thats like tying shoes and i was already supposed to know. I;ll give it a try and see how it works. Thanks again
  • yosemitesam

yosemitesam replied the topic: Re: Table Saw surface protection

Highlandhardware.com sell a spray can just for that purpose, paste wax is also good. You can also cover the table top with plastic sheeting when it is idle. take care :roll:
  • CARPENTERDON

CARPENTERDON replied the topic: Re: Table Saw surface protection

Paste wax is the best idea for protecting the saw table from rust.

I work the wax down into the miter slots too. It helps aid in the miter guage sliding much easier.

The best thing about paste wax is that it is cheap!

"If you cover the table saw with plastic you have to coat the top with oil first or rust will form from condensation that will build up under the plastic."

replied the topic: Re: Table Saw surface protection

Hi, all

This might be late, but I use something like yosemitesam, it's silicone spray that you use to seal the cast iron.

I use this spray to clean the top and then to protect it. I use it on all my tools that can rust.
When it dries it will leave no residue to get into the pores of the wood you are cutting and interfere with the finishing process. Here is how I use it.

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+