Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Table saw advice. General? Help me out guys.

• CARPENTERDON

CARPENTERDON replied the topic: Re: Table saw advice. General? Help me out guys.

As a Master Carpenter & Custom Woodworker of 25+ years, I can tell you....."you get what you pay for."

It is better to pay for a good quality saw now and have it last the rest of your life, than to buy a cheap or "beginners"[/] saw.

If you prefer the cabinet saws, then look at: General, Jet, Powermatic, or Grizzly.

For a GOOD contractor's saw, check out: Ridgid or Hitachi.

Personally, I would stay away from Ryobi tools of any sort. They have a tendency not to last very long.

I have had the Ridgid TS3650 contrator's saw since '02 and I love it.
  • okrobie

okrobie replied the topic: Re: Table saw advice. General? Help me out guys.

Hi All. And Hi Junior, I am a married guy so It's not always easy to manipulate the budget as desired. I needed a table saw and given my funding, I bought a used Craftsman contractor's saw, and put a Craftsman ALIGN A RIP fence and link belt on it. Then I used a dial indicator on all allignment parameters: Blade, fence, miter guage etc. Next I'll get a good blade and I'm looking for a 3HP motor. The saw is great. Needless to say, I enjoy the journey as well as the destination.

All totalled, I have about $250. invested. I got the saw for $75. at a pawn shop and even before the upgrades, I was using it from the very first day.

Some day I will get a nice store bought cabinet saw, but for now this one is great. I know it is better than any saw Sears sells now. All their latest products are direct drive, even their top of the line "Cabinet Saw". All of their motors are rated as "peak" horse power. That number is completely bogus. It means that it produces that much HP for a few seconds while it is starting up.

I also have a nice tenoning jig, an Excaliber dado blade and a molding cutter set. Obviously these items were added by milking birthdays and Christmas for all they were worth.

Main thing is, I'm having fun!!!

Thanks for letting me brag :D

Regards, Jim (Brand new member, first post)
  • okrobie

okrobie replied the topic: Re: Table saw advice. General? Help me out guys.

P.S. Along with the link belt, I got machined pulleys. Also, the left extension is a convertible router table, and the right is cast iron. I also have it on a Delta roll around.

With all that stuff, it makes my investment more like $350. Mostly from eBay.

Ciao

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+