Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Best dust collection system?

• BigWoody
  • BigWoody's Avatar Topic Author

BigWoody created the topic: Best dust collection system?

I am new to woodworking. I just purchased a 3 HP unisaw, with the optional dust port on the bottom. i also have the Excalibur overhead fence wuth dust-collection hose.

I started researching dust-collection systems, but the amount of variables is overwhelming. I want to get the leats expensive system that will really do a good job (ie, probably a 2-stage, unless you recommend otherwise.)

I don't intend to have too many other tools in the near future. Certainly a miter saw and router, but that's about it. The router will be mounted on the saw, but will use a separate fence (Incra) with it's own (narrow) port.

No two tools will be used concurrently, and I will only be doing occasional home projects.

Do I want separate collection systems for each?
Should I use one small unit, and switch it back 7 forth?
Should a I get slightly larger unit and just connect everything?

Whichever scenario you recommend, what is the best unit available, without wasting money on something that is too big?

-thanks!
  • RONZWORLD

RONZWORLD replied the topic: Re: Best dust collection system?

WOODY, CHECK OUT HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS ONLINE, I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2 HP. 1600 CFM. DUST COLLECTOR FROM THEM AND I WAS AMAZED WHEN I GOT ! IT,S EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE GRIZZLY MODEL OF THE SAME SIZE BUT AT A MUCH LOWER PRICE(UNDER $200.00!) FIT AND FINISH ON IT IS REALLY NICE FOR THE PRICE AND IT WORKS GOOD TOO! RON, FROM RONZWORLD.
  • diarmaid

diarmaid replied the topic: Re: Best dust collection system?

8O Hi all, I was just browsing and I saw this post so I had to join the site to say something. I hope the thread isn't too old to revive.

I had a look at that 1600cfm extractor you bought....OMG....it only filters down to 30microns. In wood dust terms 30microns is a brick!

Basically, the smaller the particles you inhale the more dangerous they are. You cant see particles below 10microns, and the ones below .2 microns are the ones that your body has trouble removing from your lungs, thus causing cancer and other diseases in the long term.

People generally feel pretty good with a filter down to .5 microns but even that aint enough.

In my new workshop Im going to be using an extractor for down to .5 microns connected to each machine while Im using them. I'll be wearing a Triton powered respirator for down to .2 microns. Im also fitting a Delta wall mounted extractor unit to filter the air down to .2microns. Obviously it will be blowing the 'dirty' filtered air outside and not back into the shop. The respirator will be put on b4 entering the shop and taken off after leaving, and the wall extractor unit will remain on for a few hours after finishing up.

Overkill???......Id prefer not to have cancer in 20 years.

These items are expensive, running up onto $1000 for my entire setup, but its a once off payment, like saving for that extra good tool, and more important.

Please visit this site, I found it great.
billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm
  • Messman

Messman replied the topic: Re: Best dust collection system?

While you are correct concerning the filtration of the HF unit, but you can change the filtration on it by changing the bags out to another, better filtration. If you take that road you will still come in way below the price of other systems.

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+