Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Resawing Maple planks?

• chrysagon200
  • chrysagon200's Avatar Topic Author

chrysagon200 created the topic: Resawing Maple planks?

I found a local lumber yard here today in Houston Texas that has 2 x 2 x 18 maple boards.. This is perfect for the 1/16 strips I need... whats a good blade to use on my table saw for resawing it into strips? I've never tried this before.. figured I would make a jig to feed it through the table saw safe..

colin replied the topic: Re: Resawing Maple planks?

Well, first of all I would make sure I cut the strips so that the thick part of the wood is between the saw and fence .. so when you cut your strips, the 1/16 strip will be cut on the outside of the saw blade and will just sort of flop on top of the table after it is cut ... otherwise you will be struggling to push really thin strips between the saw blade and the fence. The disadvantage is that you will need adjust the fence each time you cut a strip.
Next question is does at least one side of the 1/16 need to be planed? or can both sides be rough? You may need to plane each board before sending it back through the table saw.
OK .. now for the blade. I think the first blade I would try would be a Freud 7-1/4" 24 tooth circular saw blade. It has very thin kerf so will be less wasteful, but it may not be able to be set high enough on your saw (any 7-1/4 circ saw blade could be used to see if you can get the height)
Failing the circ saw blade option, the next best would be the Freud 10" thin kerf 24 tooth rip. Kerf is not quite as thin as the circ saw blade but will DEFINITELY do a good job.
Hope this helps ....
Colin
  • Dusty56

Dusty56 replied the topic: Re: Resawing Maple planks?

I've recently discovered how easy it is to rip thin pieces on my bandsaw and how much wood is saved by the super thin kerf of the BS blade.
I pass the edge of the board over my jointer as necessary between cuts if I need a smooth "face" to show on my project.
Also , a thin strip jig is quite handy to use so you don't have to measure each cut. Simply move the fence until your wood touches the jig and slice away ;)
www.woodsmithshop.com/download/209/tablesawrippingjig.pdf

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+