Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

HF 14 bandsaw quality?

• chrysagon200
  • chrysagon200's Avatar Topic Author

chrysagon200 created the topic: HF 14 bandsaw quality?

greetings

I'm new to the forums, but wanted to say what a great source of information is site is..

I was thinking on buying a HF 14 bandsaw since they have them on sale for 349.99 atm..

good or bad idea?

colin replied the topic: Re: HF 14 bandsaw quality?

That's a really good question ... and thanks for comment about the info on the site.
The last time I was in Harbor Freight I did look at the their band saw, and it looked suspiciously like a band saw a friend of mine had a few years ago, but with a different name on it (and the color was different). I did get a chance to use the other band saw, and it worked fine. My only complain is that it was noisy, but that was mostly because of the way the top band saw access door rattled against the frame. Once we buffered that and tuned the band saw ... it worked fine.
He use the saw for about 3 years then sold if for a larger one.
Thats about all I can offer ... hopefully others will have first hand experience.

Colin
  • PaulD

PaulD replied the topic: Re: HF 14 bandsaw quality?

Welcome to the site chrysagon

I know a couple guys with Harbor Freight saws and they seem pleased with them. From what I understand, they’re more of a light duty saw. It will probably be just fine for hobby woodworking.
If you need a saw that's going to see more heavy use, I would spend the extra $100 and buy the Grizzly G0555 Ultimate 14".
  • chrysagon200

chrysagon200 replied the topic: Re: HF 14 bandsaw quality?

heavy? naaa. I just need a bandsaw that can cut through a max of 6 inches of pine..
I'm sure I'll use it for a few other projects like harps and such...
  • PaulD

PaulD replied the topic: Re: HF 14 bandsaw quality?

Basically … what I meant is by heavy is, are you planning to use the saw on daily basis to cut a lot of wood? If so, you probably want to go to more of a pro quality saw. But, since it sounds like you need a saw to get you through a few projects, the Harbor Freight should be more than adequate for what you want to-do.
  • chrysagon200

chrysagon200 replied the topic: Re: HF 14 bandsaw quality?

oh, sorry.. yea just prob use it once or twice a week really.. heading out to HF tomorrow to get me one..

thx everyone..

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+