Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

What additional tools should I buy?

• Harley
  • Harley's Avatar Topic Author

Harley created the topic: What additional tools should I buy?

Hello everyone,
I'm a beginning woodworker, and have almost an unlimited budget to buy tools. So far, I have a new General table saw, a router station with a PC
3.5 HP motor, Craig pocket hole joiner, small belt and 1/4 pad sanders,
benchtop drill press, small Delta benchtop band saw.
Should I buy a planer/jointer as a combination tool, or seperately?
If anyone has other suggestions, please make them.
  • wooood67

wooood67 replied the topic: Re: What additional tools should I buy?

Hi, Harley

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I think what you need will be determined by how serious you get into woodworking and what you actually build.

In my case I add to my tool collection as the need arises to correctly build my project. Unlike your lucky a**, I don't have an unlimited tool budget( can you sence the jelousy?) so I have to improvise at times to build what I want.

Good luck with your woodworking

Kirk
  • Harley

Harley replied the topic: Re: What additional tools should I buy?

Hi Kirk,
I have a small engraving business, and my accountant told me either spend it on the busiess, or give it to Uncle Sam.
I'm looking for a good jointer. Any thoughts?
I also bought a Festool parallel sheet cutter with it's vacuum. It's a real sweet tool, and cuts dead on. The saw sits on the aluminum track. The setup has to be dead nuts, otherwise, you'll have an off square panel.
I was going to (or am) also going to build a couple of table saw sleds. The Festool eliminates hawling the whole 4X8 sheet of ply to the saw, and wrestling with it.
Tomorrow, I'm going to Woodcraft to pick up my new Jet Jointer. I've read so much in forums about Griz,Rigid,Woodmaster, etc. etc. on buying the 8"...but I believe this size will suit me for now.
I have a Chineese biscuit jointer that I'd give you if you want it. I bought a DeWalt, and it should do the trick. Let me know if you want it. Postage is on me.
My first project is my new kitchen cabinets, so the planer/ jointer is essential I believe. I did check out the prefab cabinets at HD and Lowe's, but they are poorly fit, and I know I can do a much nicer job.
I'm a toolmaker, hub & die maker and graphic artist for Cross Pen Co. in Lincoln, RI.
I also might have some clamps if you want them.
Paul
  • wooood67

The sheet cutter would be a handy tool. I don't have room in my little shop for one.

Going with the Jet Jointer sounds good. I have a one that has served me well.

Thanks for the biscuit jointer offer but I bought a porter cable that was a display at lowes for $100 It didn't come with a case or any accessories, but I couldn't turn it down.

As I could really use some clamp though. What do you have and how much are you asking for them?

Kirk
  • Harley

Harley replied the topic: Re: What additional tools should I buy?

Hi Kirk,
They are extended rail clamps; I'd say 36" with sliding heads. The ends are steel with floating small steel pads with a wooden handles. I have about 6 of them. They are FREE!! Shipping's free too.
I'm a bachelor, so that explains my financial situation.
I'll send them off; just give me an address to ship to.
I should have them in the mail this weekend.
  • wooood67

Thanks, Harley

That sounds great. I'll email you the address.

Thanks again, they will help.

Kirk

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+